Saturday, February 28, 2009

Acting Confessions: Freshman Follies

So I started to try and act again after 20 years. I acted in H.S. and College. I loved it then but didn't pursue it after that. I had a-lot of other things to do like find a wife, get a career, and start a new Nielson clan.

Matthew and I joined a fabulous play last Spring called "Power in His Touch". It was a musical based on the Savior. It was an awesome experience and I couldn't help but want to pursue it a little more.

I contacted my daughter Sarah's agent and told her I wanted to try this acting thing out. I was a natural ham back in the day. I don't have a-lot of fear or stage fright. My Dad says I've got guts, so I figured, what do I have to lose? It could be a nice side line.

I was cast in my first gig as a Spanish narrator for a multilevel energy company. My job was to teach associates about how to prospect, close a sale, and also about the compensation plan.

When I finally got in front of the camera, I'll admit I was a little nervous. It was just me standing in front of a camera and 4 production people and the guy from the Energy company. I had practiced plenty. Since the narration was in Spanish I wanted to do my best. I'm not a native speaker but my accent is pretty good for a gringo.

I don't know what it was but as soon as I started reading the teleprompter I felt my heart start beating faster and the muscles in my chest and arms start to tighten up. I started reading at breakneck speed sounding more like a sped up tape recorder than a warm and delightful host.

"Whoa! Dude! Slow down! You're giving yourself a heart attack!" the director said. "Start again and just relax. It wouldn't hurt to smile a little, like you just heard someone tell a funny joke."

"Oh. Ok. I get it." I replied. "Let's try again."

Slowly and with a smile I started again. After a few takes, I managed to find a rhythm. I started to relax. I knew I found the right touch when I heard the director tell the guy from the energy company, "That was it!"

"You look like a Spanish soap opera star!" the guy from the company told me.

Yes! Pay dirt! A little success doesn't hurt! I wish I could say that about every time I try this stuff.

Last week I auditioned for a church movie playing the part of Joseph Millet, an early pioneer. I practiced reading that part at least a hundred times. I even filmed myself doing it so I could see what I looked like.

I don't know what it was, but as soon as I started the audition, I sort of froze. I couldn't remember my next line even though I'd practiced it repeatedly and even though it was only a three line dialogue! I felt that nervous surge of adrenalin. My heart started to speed up and I felt that nervous twitch in my arms and chest. Dang it! I know I must have had that "deer in the headlights" look, the kiss of death. That' s just not what I was going for.

So I guess the moral of the story is that the next time you see someone acting on a TV show or movie. Remember, it's harder than it looks.

I think I'm going to keep trying this even though I muffed that audition. I just don't want to accept that I can't do it. I still think I can. Next time I think I'll go to my secret happy place before I walk in, that way I won't tighten up so much.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yep, you'll get it! We all have to fall down sometimes1

Ada's Girl said...

Don't worry. Brett Nielson never gives up! That which you persist in doing gets easier. Remember? You have the talent and the looks. Go Brett

Fireskin said...

Don't give up. Even the most seasoned actors tank auditions at times.

Melissa said...

What an inspiration you are for others. You can do it Brett! (I am waving my virtual pom poms as I jump up in down) =-)