Sunday, June 8, 2008

Childhood Friends Part 2



There was a girl in my fifth grade class named Cathleen Holt. She had dark hair and blue eyes. I guess I must have liked her because she looked a little bit like my mother and I remember she was more quiet and soft spoken than a-lot of other kids. I don't remember much more about her personality. As I said before, it's been over 30 years. I do remember though that she did live in my neighborhood at the top of a hill next to an undeveloped area. Behind her house was wide open space with dirt bike trails that Kent and I used to use along with a-lot of other kids.

It was behind her house at dusk one night that I remember seeing UFOs. I don't know if Kent remembers this but I do. We were at the top of the hill looking down on to the trails right as the sun was going down when I glimpsed at the top of my line of vision two or three flying saucers. During that time in the seventies, everyone was talking about UFOs. There were articles about them in the newspaper and everyone was all a buzz with conversations about aliens and unidentified spacecraft. These UFOs had red lights all around them and they were flying low below the clouds. As I look back now, of course they were just some aircraft shuttling around in our area, but with the effect of the sun setting and the long shadows being cast out on the ground and with everyone talking about flying saucers, I couldn't help but imagine them as alien spaceships. It was exciting to think about and I told Kent so. That was right before we both had to head home on our bikes for dinner.

Later that year, during the winter, Kent and I headed back up to the area around Cathleen Holt's house. This time we had a plan, a different mission if you will. I remember it was cold outside and there was snow on the ground. The plan was that Kent was going to walk up to Cathleen's house and knock on the door. I was going to wait furtively behind a bush about a block away. His mission was to make contact with Cathleen and ask her if she liked me after which he was to disengage from her and return immediately and inform me of the results of the said conversation.

As I peered from behind the bush I observed Kent approach and knock on the door. Amazingly enough it was Cathleen that answered. She poked her head out but kept the rest of her body safe behind the half opened door. I couldn't hear what they said but I distinctly remember that she moved her head up and down twice. I felt hope come alive as I witnessed this and impatiently waited for Kent's return in order to obtain verbal confirmation of what I thought her response was.

"She said she likes you." he said.

"Are you serious?"

"Yes, that's what she said."

"Oh, wow!"

That was just beyond belief for me. Victory was mine, my friends. I had triumphed. Now I could go back to school with confidence. Even though Cathleen and I barely spoke to each other, I knew that she liked me. I also knew that she knew that I liked her. And I knew that she knew that I knew that she liked me. In other words, there was a-lot of knowing going on and she and I were in the know together. I could continue to admire her from afar and not talk with her and she could do the same for me. We could keep looking at each other when the other was not looking, stolen looks at various moments during the day. It was a perfect arrangement of unspoken knowing and liking. What could be better for a fifth grader? Please tell me, my friends, if you know.

I had the chance later to help Kent on one of his romantic escapades. He and I sallied forth shirtless one warm summer day (shirtless because we thought we were studs). We crossed the creek behind Denise Hawkin's house and climbed uphill through some woods where we played army. This was Jenny Lewis' neighborhood. Kent had been smitten with this girl for several months. She also was in his class at school. Interestingly, Jenny had light brown hair, a slim frame, and green eyes. She reminded me a little bit of Kent's mom, Jean, which probably goes to reason.

I remember that Kent was bold and determined to approach Jenny himself. There was to be no intermediary used this time. He would move forward and acquit himself in a manly way and ask her if she liked him. For my part I would provide moral support. Win or lose I would be there for my friend. The stakes were high. Within moments Kent could come away with the thrill of victory or the agony of defeat. I bid farewell and good luck to my friend and watched him as he approached Jenny's house. I hung out in a half constructed home next door which there were many of at the time.

A few minutes passed and I watched as my friend returned. I could not immediately discern from his demeanor the results of the encounter.

"What happened? What did she say?" I inquired with bated breath.

"Well. She doesn't like me."

"What?! She doesn't like you?"

"No, she doesn't. "

"Well, why not?"

"She called me an a------."

"She called you an a------?! I can't believe it! I just can't believe it!

"Well it's true."

I tried my best to console my comrade at that moment. It was a difficult time for him I know. Sometimes you have to roll the dice and see what happens in life. Sometimes the roll of that dice just wreaks to high heaven. That's just the way it is and we learn to live with it. "She wasn't worth it anyway." I told him. "No way! You can do better."

Fortunately Kent rebounded quickly. In a week or so he was no worse for the wear. I found out later that while he and I we were out playing in large cement tubes to be placed in the ground around our subdivision that he sneaked a kiss from Kim Brinker while I wasn't looking. I guess you could say that my friend was bold indeed. He siezed life by the horns.
Carpe Diem Kent! Carpe Diem!





3 comments:

Ada's Girl said...

Ah...the coming of age!
Dad

Ada's Girl said...

Brett,
This hilarious. Chris, Dad and I laughed our heads off! You have a new career as a writer. You should create a series for young readers. Their parents would love it too.

Blue said...

you're freaking me out. i have a fifth grade daughter (well, actually as of last week i don't) and didn't know boys that age were thinking about girls. except one boy, as manifested by a patch of cement :-)

i'm shocked by the language the girl used, but it just shows that she wasn't the kind of girl he'd want to be with any way.